So the hunt is on to find fabrics that breathe at a reasonable price for the town crier uniform. My first thought was a summer weight wool, I mentioned it to the client and the first thing he said was no wool is too hot, then I showed him a lightweight worsted wool in a cobalt blue that I plan to make a skirt at some point...... He felt the fabric and instantly loved it as I knew he would! Then I told him the price per metre had to pick him up off the floor, he decided it was waaaaaayyyyyy too expensive but I have other plans hehehehehe!
Called Sultan's fine fabrics in Toronto and explained to him what I need the first thing he suggested was the summer weight wool, I told him he read my mind but I'm on a tight budget. Sultan is a prince of a man and told me not to worry about the price he will look after me after all I send him many clients including my son who needed a new wardrobe for a new job he was starting last fall. He was out shopping and was getting frustrated at what he was finding his word to describe it was "junk" so I suggested he visit Sultan and have his suits custom made, the fit is better, he can choose the colour he wants for the suit as well as the lining. My son didn't know how much fun it was to pick out funky linings! In the end he actually saved money by having bespoke suits made rather than buying off the rack, the same quality fabrics would have to be designer suits and would have set him back a lot more that what the end cost was with the added bonus that they fit perfectly. The workmanship alone was worth the cost and I inspected the garments! Any one who knows me knows how picky I can be with the workmanship, cut, design etc.
In fact today I cut a dress for a family function that I have been invited to because I have nothing to wear :) really I don't! Anyway, it took me over 1/2 an hour to cut the bodice back not because it's a difficult cut it's the print that had me thinking so I looked and looked placed the pattern piece on, took it off and so on until I found the exact mirror images to cut each side. There was also the added bonus that in the design I decided to attach the front strap to the back so there will be no shoulder seam meaning the flower at the front had to be cut upside down so that when it's sewn on to the front it will be right side up! Whew! I hope you were able to follow that :)
Have a great day!
Maria Calautti, "Jack of all trades"