So I have been a busy beaver the past few days with home dec projects, the bedrooms have been painted so just like dominos instead of falling over the jobs just piled up so this week I felt it was time to catch up so I did. Yesterday and today my job was to finish the new bedding and re-cover an old settee that has been a staple in my room for the past 43 years!
So the curtains are a charcoal grey, the wall colour is a lighter grey, I decided to go with a silver satin for the duvet cover with decorative cording along the flange that had to be hand sewn all the way around! I add a flange to my cover to make it longer so it will hand lower on the bed-skirt and completely cover the high mattresses sold these days. The other thing I hate is playing around with all the pillows and dealing with pillow shams plus the only time I like my pillows to be seen is before they are slept on and not after so I added 50 cm of fabric to the top end so I can cover the pillows like a bed-spread! There is a seam that keeps the duvet in place all the way around with a 20 cm flange along the sides and a 13 cm flange at the end of the bed. Looks great and is very functional; not having to monkey around with a bunch of pillows at night and in the morning makes tidying up very quick!
The settee was my first foray into upholstery and turned out fairly decent, there are some flaws but I figured a blind man on a galloping horse could not see them so it's ok LOL!
Maria Calautti, "Jack of all trades"