I hope you all survived the new year's celebrations! We were out with some good friends had a great time went to bed waaayyyyy too late or early in the morning whichever works :)
We went to our daughter's place for a new year's day brunch which was very nice, she is an excellent chef, I know my opinion is biased....
Today back to work! I was working on the mother of the bride dress had to figure out how to finish the neckline, I had a plan in mind but since both the lace and the silk are very opinionated I thought I would do a trial run first using some silk scraps I had on hand, you see I only have a limited amount of silk to play with so there was only one chance to get it right! I had in mind a small bias strip at the front going into a larger collar towards the back; great idea if it were any other lace! So I made what I thought would work well and guess what, it didn't! In fact what looked best was the complete opposite a larger front bias collar feathering it down to almost nothing at the top of the zipper on the back. Go figure.
I had to have patience and make another collar of the silk scraps that I had to see A) how it would look and B) get a pattern piece. The reason I didn't have a lot of fabric left over is that I had to cut sleeves as well as godets for the back of the skirt from what was left over, you will see what I mean after the wedding when I post pictures. It was quite a coup to get as much as I did from the fabric considering the sleeves were supposed to be cut in a mesh or tulle and not the fabric plus the godets at the back were not even on the radar when the fabric was purchased.
So the lesson learned here is KEEP THE SCRAPS!! Plus at times like this draping combined with pattern drafting really works well to get a good visual on how the finished product will look. Now I can finish the dress without any hesitation.
Have a good one!
Maria Calautti, "Jack of all trades"