There are some advantages to taking my time and process things slowly and here is a perfect example:
The fabric is so delicate and beautiful that I want to do show the fabric off in the best possible way. Yesterday I finally got the canvas ready with the stay sewn on so to see how it would look I placed the front pieces over the canvas then I had to leave it to do something else. I came back a couple of hours later and saw something that perplexed me a little everywhere there was a stitch on the canvas the fabric had a dimple! I looked at it and looked at it and could not believe what I was seeing! If it looks like this on the table it will look like this on the body and this will not do, not at all!
The other problem was that I have to use fusible interfacing to re-enforce the pocket openings and around the hemline, fusible interfacing no matter how soft almost always leaves some puckers so I tried it on a scrap and true to form it puckered! I could see the outline of the interfacing patch so that was no good.
What should I do? I asked myself. So I put my thinking cap on and placed some soft interfacing between the fabric and canvas, it seemed to remove the "dimples", there was my answer; underline the whole jacket!!! I went to my favourite Fabricland in Barrie and bought some very soft silk-cotton that worked like a charm keeping the soft drape of the fabric while protecting it from the fusible interfacing needed at the pockets and hem. It is a bit more work but so worth it in the end all the jacket pieces seem to be smiling saying "that's what I'm talking about!!"
Take a look at the pix below to see for yourself the difference on the front. The back seam looks great, presses very well, the darts are beautiful now the breast pocket welt needs to go in before the canvas is pad-stitched in place so the work continues, keep you posted!